Thursday, November 16, 2006

Can you Tech it?: The Technology 2.0 challenge

Welcome to the challenge blog for the NCPL's Technology 2.0 challenge. This program is open to all staff of the Nelson County Public Library, including the branches. In two months (November 23-January 23), participating staff will be required to complete 23 tasks, designed to introduce you to some technologies available online and offline. Not only are these tools useful for the library, but for our patrons as well!

Participation is not mandatory, but anyone who completes all 23 tasks by January 23 will get their choice of an MP3 player, a digital camera, or a PDA.

There are no boring classes to take for this challenge! Everything will be found online, here at http://techchallenge.blogspot.com. Everything is at your own pace, and the only requirement is that you have all challenges completed by January 23, 2007.

Most importantly, don’t be afraid to ask for help! You’re not going to be in this alone, and I will always be willing to walk you through something that is confusing. (Of course, reading the introductory info is always helpful. ;) )

Interested? Great. Stay tuned, because the first challenge goes online November 23rd!

6 comments:

anne's blog said...

Hey this is Anne. Wanted to let you know that I've created my blog and the address is http://annetgblog.blogspot.com Have a great weekend. ♥

Carol said...

OK Emily, that was a lot of information. Don't get me wrong, I think all this stuff is great but with all the information overload out there how does anyone stay up on all this? There were a couple of things I really liked...the idea that the kids could use Youtube to create videos at the library using library equipment...filming and posting karoke sessions. I really liked the part where the kids were helping the librarians with their my space and telling them how lame it was when the librarians did it. That sounds like reality. But this is day one of 46 so I guess I have a lot to learn. The last entry seemed the most useful. The flock thing. I hope we get to do that, it seems like it would make everything easier to keep up with. Carol

Carol said...

forgot to add my blog address for whoever wants it: http://carolsminutiae.blogspot.com
That's all, Carol

Emily said...

Carol, think of it the same way you order books for YA. You can't possibly be required to know and read every book that is available, but you read what other people have to say, and make choices and recommendations based on those. With new technologies, it's the same way. We can't expect you to know about everything, or to have mastered the usage of everything that is available. Instead, keep your eyes out for bloggers (and magazine articles!) that talk about new technologies. From those, you can pick out a few of the most interesting to play with.

Also, I didn't have Flock on my list of 23 things, but I would be happy to help you set it up if you would like to try it out.

Carrie said...

hey guys! I finally did my blog-yeah. Hopefully I can catch up.

Carrie said...

hobbs555 = carrie